11 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2023
Expand your screen real estate while traveling with the best portable monitor. They not only have the advantage of being compact and lightweight, but they also require minimal mounting and offer a simpler setup than their full-sized counterparts. So, whether you’re working remotely and away from home or working with limited desk space, it’s just the ideal solution if you’re in dire need of extra screen space for your daily workflow.
These accessories have proven to be so useful, in fact, that the market is now teaming with offerings from big names and lesser-known brands. There’s quite a variety of them out there as well, from screens with 1080p resolution to super sharp 4K displays, from ones with stands to niftier ones that mount onto your laptop. Unfortunately, that also means that picking the best portable monitor for you can be tough, especially if you haven’t used one before.
11 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2023Workings from your laptop can be a nightmare. Especially if it’s really small – you can’t even split a screen properly without wanting to head to the eye doctor for new glasses! And switching between desktops and tabs? Don’t get me started.
- Full HD Portable Monitor - MNN 15.6inch portable laptop...
- Double Type-C Port -For Plug & Play, the MNN monitor...
- Lightweight Ultra Slim for Travel - As a portable external...
- Give consideration to work and games - through multiple...
- Powerful Smart Cover - MNN portable external monitor can...
- 🌈FHD 1080P PORTABLE MONITOR - KYY using a 15.6'' advanced...
- ⚡️WIDE COMPATIBILITY - KYY portable monitor for laptop...
- 📺ULTRA-SLIM PORTABLE DISPLAY - KYY USB C portable monitor...
- ⬛DURABLE SMART COVER - Comes with a scratch-proof smart...
- 🎁LIGHTWEIGHT BUT POWERFUL - KYY portable external monitor...
- 🌈Full HD 1080P IPS Display: Fangor 15.6-inch portable...
- 💻Wide Compatibility: The laptop portable monitor has a...
- 💞Multiple Display Modes: The portable computer monitor is...
- 💡New Setting Button Design—Adopt a friendly button...
- ✅ Ultra-thin Travel Monitor: This 15.6-inch portable...
- [Second Monitor] The ARZOPA portable monitor can very well...
- [FHD IPS Screen] Designed with a 15.6-inch display, the...
- [Plug and Play] There is no need of app and drivers, you...
- [Lightweight and Portable] Keeping in mind the portability...
- [Wide Compatibility] With dual USB-C ports, you can easily...
- Extensive Compatibility - Forhelp portable monitor features...
- Full HD Portable Monitor - 15.6inch portable laptop monitor...
- Ultra-slim Portable Monitor - As a portable external...
- Able to Balance Work and Play - With multiple display modes...
- DURABLE SMART COVER - Comes with a scratch-proof smart cover...
- ✅Experience Unrivaled Visuals: Get the ultimate viewing...
- ✅Truly Wide Compatibility: Lets you connect your laptop,...
- ✅Durable&Smart Cover: VILVA portable monitor has a high...
- ✅Look no further!: Get this portable monitor, complete...
- ✅ FHD 1080P PORTABLE MONITOR: 15.6inch portable laptop...
- ✅ Ultra-Efficient Power Use: Compared to traditional 6W...
- ✅ Ultra Compact Design: Compared to traditional external...
- ✅ 0.2” Ultra Slim & 1.5lb Lightweight & Aluminum Alloy...
- ✅ Your On-the-go Partner: External monitor for laptop has...
- [15.6"1080P FHD Portablle monitor]: 15.6 inches portable...
- [Easy to Connect & Widly Compatible Monitor] YGG external...
- [Multiple Mode & Dual Speaker & HDR] The portable screen...
- [Ultra Slim & Lightweight Travel Monitor] The portable...
- [Smart Cover & VESA Mountable & Pen Hole Design] YGG...
- Sleek & Portable Design: ASUS ZenScreen 15.6-inch Full HD...
- Smart Connectivity: ZenScreen MB166C travel monitor uses a...
- Work Efficiently In Portrait & Landscape Modes: This 15-inch...
- Work In Comfort: User-friendly design with an embedded...
- Say Goodbye To Strained Eyes: The ASUS ZenScreen 15.6 inch...
- 【FHD 1080 Portable Monitor】 15.6" frosted monitor offers...
- 【Multiple Display Modes】This USB C portable monitor...
- 【Smart Design and Case】 Original protective cover, it...
- 【Wide range of applications】 The portable monitor with...
- 【Hassle-free service】Risk-free free trial for laptop...
At A Glance: Our Top 4 Picks for Portable Monitors
- ASUS MB169B+/MB168B USB Portable MonitorOVERALL BEST CHOICE
- Elecrow 13.3 Inch Portable Monitor
- EleDuino Portable Gaming Monitor
- GeChic On-Lap 1503I Portable Monitor BEST TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY
So, if you are frustrated working on the go (even if you have a great travel laptop) then you are in for a treat. I have spent a few hours or looking for the best portable monitors for your laptop to make your life and work on the go oh so much easier. (You’ll love it when you can fit it in your luggage!)
First, I’ll show you what makes a good portable monitor, and then we’ll check out the best ones that are currently available (in 2020). Whether you use it as your primary monitor, or a handy secondary portable monitor is up to you.
What Qualifies as a Portable Monitor?
Many smaller desktop displays can be taken on the road in a pinch, but “true” portable monitors are the ones that are specifically sold as such. Even those vary quite a bit in size, from 3.5 inches to 22 inches. Portable displays range from personal, commercial, and general-purpose models to panels for artists and gamers.
However, the sweet spot for using with a laptop, and our focus here, is between 12 and 17 inches. Many users match their laptop screen to the size of their laptop screen. But there are also a handful of 10-inch (primarily for use with game consoles) and 7-inch (for use with the Raspberry Pi) models on the market.
Most portable displays use a stand that consists of a thin but rigid plastic plate, with several grooves or folds into which it folds. At one end is a magnetic stripe, which is attached to the back of the monitor at the top. Folding the blade in the middle, with the angle pointing away from the user, prop up the monitor. The bottom of the monitor is inserted into a slot, securing it and tilting the device upwards.
(Some portable displays have multiple slots, and you can change the tilt angle of the monitor by placing the stand on a different one.) These folding stands often serve as protective covers for the screen when not in use. Some protect only the front of the monitor, while others are larger wrap-around covers that cover the entire monitor.
Another stand design that we have seen consists of a rigid flat base, which contains the ports, to which the screen is fixed by hinges. You can set the screen to any angle you want by simply tilting it. However, this type is much less common. Also, some designs use the laptop as a stand, holding it against its back or side and sliding or rocking it for use.
Although mobile monitors lack the height, pivot or swivel adjustability of their desktop counterparts, they are small and light enough to be easy to adjust manually. Some monitors can be rotated by hand, although not all mounts can support a monitor in portrait mode.
In those cases, you can always lean the monitor against a wall or other surface. Most portable monitors can automatically correct the image so that it is always face up, whether in portrait or landscape mode. (Even on those that lack such automatic image rotation, you can change the orientation in Windows display settings.)
OUR TOP PICKS
The Best Portable Monitor In 2020
1. ASUS MB169B+/MB168B USB Portable Monitor
We’re kicking off this review in style, with this 15.6” Asus monitor. It is available in both HD and Full HD resolutions, and you should choose one that is best suitable for your work needs. Just keep in mind that the HD version is about $40 cheaper than the other one.
This portable monitor is equipped with a USB 3.0 port, and you need just one USB cable to get it working. In terms of compatibility, this Asus works with Windows devices that are running Windows 7 or later, and Mac devices with at least OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion). There are some issues with Mac compatibility, but as long as you download the right DisplayLink driver, the screen should work fine with your device.
This Asus USB monitor is incredibly slim, with a thickness of only 8.5 millimeters. And it is also weighs only 1.76 lbs, which makes it one of the lightest portable monitors on the market. Overall, it is one of my top choices, especially when you also consider the price, and everything you get for your money.
9 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2023
A great alternative to this is the Asus Zenscreen Go MB16AHP. It is more expensive, but comes with a USB C and micro-HDMI ports, great viewing angles to make the most of that full HD – 1920 x 1080 display.
- USB cable and Asus case included in the purchase
- Lightweight and really slim
- Auto-rotation and automatic lighting sensor for adjusting brightness
- Not compatible with MacBook and MacBook Pro
- There is some lag
- Lousy customer support
2. AOC e1659Fwu LED Portable Monitor
This portable monitor is probably the best value for money you can find. It is really affordable and if you’re looking for something under $100, then this is my top recommendation. It has a 15.6” display, with a maximum resolution of 1366×768 (HD). And it requires just one USB cable for both power and video, which makes it ultra-portable.
The monitor has built-in speakers, auto brightness control as well as auto rotation. It is also compliant with VESA 75 mm wall mounts, which means that you will be able to mount this on any wall as long as you already have the mount arm and bracket.
There aren’t too many information regarding device compatibility – the manufacturer simply states that the AOC portable monitor is compatible with both Windows and Mac devices. And that you have to install a DisplayLink driver to get it working on a Windows 10. The good news is that a lot of satisfied customers have confirmed that they didn’t have any trouble making this work with their Mac devices – they just had to install the proper drivers.
9 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2023
This particular portable monitor is still pretty lightweight at 2.4 lbs, although not as light as the Asus Zenscreen. But the difference isn’t that big, and it is still light enough to be considered portable. Overall, it might not be the best product you can get, but it is certainly the best in its price range.
- Compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac devices
- Quick and easy to set up
- Great value for money (neoprene case and USB cable included in the purchase)
- Full HD version a lot more expensive
- Not great for gaming due to mouse lag
- The actual size with bezels is 16”, so it’s slightly bulky
3. GeChic 1503H Portable Monitor
If you’re not concerned with the price of portable monitors too much, I suggest you check out the GeChic 1503H. It is one of their newer releases, and it is a very good choice if you don’t mind paying extra for great performance.
This monitor is really lightweight, with only 1.75 lbs. And it is only 1.1 cm thick, which also makes it ultra portable, since the weight and size are our main concerns. It has a 15.6” display with maximum resolution of 1920×1080 (Full HD), which is perfect for a travel monitor.
The GeChic is a great HDMI monitor that also has VGA input ports, which means that there is no need to install drivers. And all the cables can be neatly hidden in the back, so that they don’t bother you while you are working. In addition to that, this screen is compatible with both Mac and Windows devices (that have an HDMI port), as well as all the important gaming consoles – PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch etc.
10 Best Portable Monitors In 2021 (Work & Play) ⋆ Expert …
But, there are a few downsides to this portable monitor. For one thing, the sound quality is disappointing, and some have even described it as horrendous. But you can easily fix that by connecting the monitor to a Bluetooth speaker. Additionally, even though the GeChic does offer the possibility of being vertically mounted, the support of the vertical stand is not the best.
- Compliant with VESA 100 mounts and multi-mount kits
- Great image quality
- Supports wireless connectivity via Chromebox or Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
- Sound quality is disappointing
- Bezels are larger than necessary
- Different ports for power and video, so you need multiple cables to set it up
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
4. GeChic On-Lap 1503I Portable Monitor
This monitor is very similar to the previous one, but there is a large difference. This particular GeChic features a touchscreen display – a 10-point Multi-Touch capacitive touchscreen, to be more precise. So, if you’re looking for the best portable monitor that comes with a touchscreen, I believe that this is your top choice.
Just like the previous GeChic monitor, it is compatible with both Mac and Windows and most gaming consoles, as well as wireless devices such as Chromebox or Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. And it features HDMI and VGA ports with which you connect it to your device. Just keep in mind that Mac devices are not compatible with the touchscreen function. So, if you’re looking to get a screen for your MacBook, you’re better off getting something else – with this you are just wasting money on a feature that you can’t even use.
The image quality is great, just like you would expect out of a 15.6” monitor with 1920×1080 resolution. The built-in speakers are slightly better than on the previous model, but not by a lot – earphones or a Bluetooth speaker are still a must, if you really need the sound.
These Are the Best Portable Monitors of 2023
The main differences between this touchscreen GeChic and the previous one is in the portability. This particular model is slightly thicker than most portable monitors, coming in at 1.2 cm (just under 1/2 an inch). Additionally, it weighs 2.34 lbs, so it is also heavier than the other GeChic monitor we checked out. But overall, it is a really good product that you will not regret getting.
- Excellent image quality with Full HD resolution at 15.6 inch
- Touchscreen display
- Anti-glare monitor is easy to see in all lighting conditions
- OS X (Mac) is not compatible with the touchscreen function
- Sound quality is not the best
- Pretty expensive
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
5. HP Pavilion 21.5-Inch IPS LED HDMI VGA Monitor
There comes a moment when you have to decide what is more important – getting one of the really portable monitors, or comprising on the portability aspect in order to get a really large monitor. That is still portable, by the way. And this is the moment, because that’s exactly what this HP monitor is – a slim, affordable 21.5” monitor.
Yes, it is huge. And if that’s what you need, then this is the best portable monitor for you. Keep in mind that this HP is not traditionally portable, but it is very lightweight for a monitor of its size. It weighs only 6.6 lbs, which is actually great – most 21.5” monitors exceed 10 lbs.
Naturally it is a Full HD monitor, with 1920×1080 resolution and 2 million pixels for a crystal clear picture. The image quality is stunning, and the integrated IPS technology also allows for wide viewing angles. VGA, HDCP, and HDMI ports allow you to connect it to your device – be it a Mac or a Windows computer.
Best portable monitor top USB screens for working from 2023
The biggest downside of this portable monitor is that it does not have built in speakers, so you will have to get external ones. And keep in mind that even though this is more of a traditional monitor, it is still compatible with your smartphones, as long as you use the right adapters. But if your work requires you to get a large monitor for your laptop that is still somewhat portable, then this is the best option. And it is the most affordable monitor so far, with a really attractive price tag.
- Great for gaming
- Lightweight for its size
- Extremely affordable laptop monitor
- No built-in speakers
- Not a traditional portable monitor
- Not compliant with VESA mounts
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
6. HP ELiteDisplay G8R65AA#ABA Portable Monitor
If you’re not looking to get a huge monitor, then maybe this one is just right for you. This HP EliteDisplay is a 14” monitor, with a resolution of 1600×900. Unfortunately it is not Full HD, but 720p is still high definition and will give you good image quality.
One upside of this monitor is that it requires a single USB cable to connect to your device. Which also means that you will have to install the right drivers for your device, and that it takes some time to set up the EliteDisplay. But when you manage to get it working, you can expect to see some really crisp colors.
This monitor stands out because of the cover that is integrated into its design. It doubles as a stand, which I find to be very useful. And It will not only protect your HP monitor and allow you to just throw it in your bag without worrying about scratches, but it also allows you to set it up wherever and whenever, without having to use any additional props.
How Long Do Monitors Last? [Computer Monitor Lifespan ..2023
It is about 1.3 cm thick and it weighs about 2.75 lbs, which is heavier than most other monitors we checked out. But it is still pretty light, especially when you consider that those 2.75 lbs also account for the weight of the cover. And one more thing – this HP monitor is not officially compatible with Mac devices. But you could get it to work on your Mac, if you install the proper drivers. However, I cannot guarantee that.
- Protective cover doubles as a stand
- Good image quality
- Three-year warranty from HP
- Not officially Mac compatible
- No information about speakers (presumably there are none)
- Heavier and thicker than some other, larger monitors
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
7. Elecrow 13.3 Inch Portable Monitor
If you are used to smaller screens and are looking for a 13.3” monitor, then definitely consider getting this one. It is extremely lightweight at only 1.41 lbs, it has built-in speakers and the image quality is amazing. The Elecrow portable monitor is a great choice for gaming because it has Full HD resolution (1920X1080) and a response time of only 5 ms – the fastest so far.
This monitor features several different ports – USB and HDMI ports, as well as a earphone jack (3.5 mm) and a separate power port. Now, that means that you will need at least two things to get it working – an HDMI cable to connect it to your device and an adapter that will supply it with power. So it is slightly less portable than a monitor that works with just one cable.
But that also means that it is compatible with basically any device that has an HDMI output. Windows, Mac, Linux, PS 4, Xbox – you name it. Additionally, the Elecrow also comes with metal rack in the box, which I am not a fan of. But at least it is compliant with VESA 75 wall mounts. And at 1.5 cm, it is the thickest monitor in this review so far.
The Best Portable Monitors for 2023
Overall, this a good monitor if you’re looking for something smaller. You will have excellent image quality, 170 degree viewing angles, and it is easy to set up because you don’t have to install any drivers. Plus it is not heavy and it’s under $150, so it’s quite a bargain.
- Built-in speakers
- Compatible with anything that has an HDMI output
- Excellent image quality and quick response time make it great for gaming
- Large bezels
- Pretty thick at 1.5 cm
- No instructions provided with the monitor
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
8. 6GeChic 1306H 13.3″ 1080p Portable Monitor
GeChic is really popular in this particular market because they have such a wide array of products. So, I have to include at least one other portable monitor of theirs – this time a 13.3” one. And just like the other two GeChics, this portable monitor has built in speakers, HDMI and VGA input ports and an incredibly compact and light design.With only 1.32 lbs, it is the lightest monitor so far.
It’s compatible with Mac, Windows and various gaming consoles– basically, if your device has an HDMI output, you will be able to connect it to this GeChic monitor. And when you do so, you will get great image quality, since it features Full HD resolution. You can also adjust the colors and brightness of the screen however you like, which is a big plus.
The monitor comes with a USB C cable to get it working, and even a micro HDMI adapter so that you can connect it to your DSLR. In addition to that, you will also get an aluminum stand in the box.
9 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2021
However, this monitor does have the same issue as the previous two GeChics – lousy sound quality. But you can always play the sound from your laptop, or connect it to an external speaker to get a better listening experience. And at least you don’t have to bother with any drivers – because it uses an HDMI input, this monitor powers up as soon as you plug it into your device.
- Plug and Play – no drivers needed
- Very portable at only 1.32 lbs
- Compatible with all devices that have an HDMI output
- Bad sound quality
- Cover not included in the purchase
- On the expensive side
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
9. EleDuino Portable Gaming Monitor
Would you like a portable gaming monitor with a 2K resolution for under $125? If the answer is yes, then this is the monitor for you. The EleDuino is a 10.1” portable monitor that weighs mere 0.77 lbs. The 2560X1600 resolution will give you excellent image quality, and crisp and bright colors.
In general, smaller monitors have the advantage of using little electricity. Which basically means that you power them up with a power bank or even your phone’s charger. And you might just be forced to use it, since you do not get a charger for this portable monitor – just a power cable. Which would be fine if the EleDuino required only the single cable but it doesn’t; you will need to use the HDMI adapter to connect it to your device. But at least that means that it’s compatible with pretty much any device you could think of – that has an HDMI output, of course.
This portable gaming monitor is equipped with two built in speakers, which give you decent sound quality. If you’re not satisfied with it, you can always plug in your headphones or external speakers into the headphone port.
9 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2021
The downside? If you’re using it as a dedicated gaming monitor, it is pretty small. Sure, it’s larger than your smartphone and tablet, but if you’ve ever tried gaming on an 11” laptop, you’ll know what I’m talking about. However, if you are using this as a second monitor for a laptop, then the size is pretty decent. In addition to that, you don’t really get a lot of items in the box. Neither a stand nor a cover is included in the purchase, and you would have to purchase those separately.
- Great image quality at 2K resolution
- Highly portable at 0.77 lbs
- No need for drivers – just plug in the HDMI cable
- Kind of small to be your only monitor
- You don’t get a lot of equipment in the box
- Not compliant with VESA mounts or tripods
SEE PRICES ON AMAZON
10. AOC e1759Fwu 17-Inch Portable Monitor
One of the first featured products in this review was an AOC portable monitor. And this one is very similar to it, with the largest difference being in the size of the screen. This particular monitor features a 17.3” screen with a 1600 x 900 resolution. And it is large enough to be your only monitor, which I absolutely love.
Additionally, if you already own a 17” laptop, this would make a great second display and allow you to really personalize your display setup. And in terms of portability, this AOC monitor weighs only 2.8 lbs,which is great considering its size. But it is on the bulkier side, with a thickness of 1.8 cm.
This monitor features a USB 3.0portand it requires just the one cable for both device connectivity and power supply. Which also means that you have to install the proper drivers for your device. But if you manage to do that, you should not experience any issues with its performance. And the AOC portable monitor iscompatible with both Windows and Mac devices, along with your smartphones and various gaming consoles.
11 best Portable Monitor for laptop, computer USB screens 2023A really cool thing about this monitor is that it has a built in flexi stand, which will hold it in place both horizontally and vertically. One other thing to note is that, although it may appear like a really attractive gaming monitor due to its size, it has a response time of 10 ms. That is too slow for some more demanding games, and you will experience mouse lag. But if you want to use it for work or for other purposes, you will barely notice it.
- Built in flexi stand
- Very lightweight for its size
- Large display with great image quality
- No built in speakers
- Response time not fast enough for demanding games
- You have to manually install the correct drivers
Are portable monitors worth it?
When it comes to your personal or work interface, having two monitors is always better. … Whether you’re a traveling execs, a gamer, or a graphic designer, a portable second monitor can add both screen room and an extra dimension to your work or play
What does a portable monitor do?
Portable monitors are an easy way to extend a laptop screen or increase the display size for a mobile device. And they are (obviously) a whole lot more portable than a desktop monitor, which makes them a great option for a tech-savvy person who needs more display real estate on the go. Want one for yourself?
Why are portable monitors so expensive?
Portable monitors tend to be more expensive because not only do they have to be light and compact, but they’re only powered by one USB cable, usually USB-C. They have to be as energy-efficient as possible and the market is quite small.
How long do portable monitors last?
Computer monitors typically last from 30,000 to 60,000 hours. This is the equivalent of 10 to 20 hours. If you use your computer eight hours a day regularly, this is the monitor’s life span that you can expect.
- Searches related to a portable monitor
- portable monitor HDMI
- Lepow portable monitor
- portable monitor with keyboard
- portable monitor 4k
- Asus portable monitor
- portable monitor amazon
- Best portable monitor with battery
- portable monitor touchscreen
9 Best Laptop Stand Adjustable, Portable Ergonomic Desk Setups 2021
Last update on 2023-07-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API