7 Best Healthy Cat Treats & Snacks Soft & Crunchy 2021
Tasty treats are a great way to liven up your cat’s day. At my house, everyone gathers for a bed-time treat. We also use treats to reward Max, our grouchy Siberian, for allowing us to groom him. Many of our friends use cat treats to introduce their kitties to new toys.
Whether you’re looking for a simple way to reward your cat or you just want to pamper them with a little extra love, cat treats are the way to go. Of course, some are more nutritious than others, so if you’re feeding your cat particular treats on a regular basis, check labels for ingredients, calories, and where the treats are manufactured or sourced.
Vets recommend that treats and snacks—whether commercially made or homemade—make up no more than 10 percent of your cat’s total calories. Most of your cat’s diet should be nutritionally complete cat food.
We’ve scoured the shelves and the internet to bring you a wide variety of treats, from long-time supermarket-brand favorites to lickable treats and some high-protein freeze-dried goodies, including shrimp and minnows. Read on to see our top 22 picks for cats (and check out our list of treats for kittens).
1. Best Dried Healthy Cat Treat: Vital Essentials Minnows Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
Sometimes, it is nice to keep cat treats around for a long time if your pet does not devour them all in one sitting. Long-lasting cat treats save money, but you have to be careful with how the food is preserved for long periods of time. Artificial additives and preservatives are widely common but can be harmful to your cat’s overall health.
When you want a healthy long lasting treat with some different flavor options, the Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Cat Treats are hard to beat. Freeze-dried to avoid the use of artificial preservatives while extending the life of the food, these snacks come in several flavors like minnows, chicken giblets, and ahi tuna. The recipe is also grain- and gluten-free for cats with more sensitive digestive systems.
2. Best Grain-Free Healthy Cat Treat: Wellness Kittles Crunchy Natural Grain Free Cat Treats
Much like humans, cats can have different types of food allergies that can be harmful to their digestive system if consumed. Grain allergies are some of the most common and easy to address when you look for grain-free foods to feed your cat. Wellness’s Kittles Crunchy Natural Treats is one of the best options that are grain-free and still tasty at the same time.
This option is also one of the only cat treats that include real fruit flavors in the mix. Using a meat and cranberry blend, these treats will offer your cat something different to enjoy while getting a more balanced, nutritional diet without the carbs of grain. Different meat choices include duck, chicken, tuna, salmon, turkey, whitefish, or a variety pack.
3. Best Healthy Cat Treat for Hairballs: Greenies Feline SmartBites Hairball Control Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
Beyond general health, one of the most difficult issues to address is digestive health. Your cat’s digestive system is crucial for providing the energy it needs to live happy and healthy. Hairballs are a common digestive issue that can be harmless or a major issue depending on their severity. To control and prevent hairballs from forming, the right diet is required to keep the digestive system working properly.
Greenie’s Feline SmartBites Hairball Control Cat Treats helps to break up existing hairballs so your cat does not suffer digestive and airway problems. Using a subtle chicken flavor, the treats are something most cats will enjoy. Beyond hairballs, the treats also help to clean the cat’s digestive tract, promoting healthy eating and reducing general health issues at the same time.
4. Feline Greenies Chicken Flavor Dental Treats
Your cat’s dental health is important! Mix wellness with fun—these dental treats feature a crunchy texture to help clean your cat’s teeth and freshen their breath. Available in 2.1-ounce and 4.6-ounce bags, 9.75-ounce tubs, and a 21-ounce jar. Buy Now on Chewy
5. Blue Buffalo Kitty Cravings With Tuna
These treats feature delicious tuna as the main ingredient with not a lot of other ingredients in addition. Their crunchy texture will delight most cats. Buy Now on Chewy
6. Halo Liv-a-Littles Salmon Treats
Low in calories but rich in protein, these freeze-dried chunks contain no artificial additives—just 100% real salmon. And the dog can have a few, too! Buy Now on Chewy
7. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Crunchy Chicken Treats
With real deboned chicken as the first ingredient, these all-natural treats are loaded with protein and come with a satisfying crunch. The 12-ounce package is ideal if you have a multi-cat household. Buy Now on Chewy
What are the best treats for cats? The Best Cat Treats
- Temptations Mixups Surfers’ Delight Cats Treats. …
- Greenies Feline Adult Dental Cats Treats. …
- Purina Friskies Party Mix Crunch Original Cat Treats. …
- Meow Mix Irresistibles Soft Cats Treats. …
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free Cat Treats. …
- Wellness Kittles Grain-Free Crunchy Cat Treats. …
- Purina DentaLife Tasty Dental Cats Treats.
What treats are bad for cats?
Cat treats high in sodium/salt can cause your cat to drink excessively. If they are high in calories and/or fat, your cat could become overweight and develop health problems such as bladder stones, skin infections, osteoarthritis, heart disease, diabetes, liver disease and cancer.
What do cats love to eat the most?
Here’s a list of all the great foods your cat can eat and will certainly love.
- Fish: Salmon and Tuna. A lot of wet food for cats is actually fish-based. …
- Fresh fruits. Although some cats are not great lovers of fruits, these are actually very healthy for them. …
- Oatmeal. …
- Fresh vegetables. …
- Fish oils. …
- Cooked eggs. …
- Cheese. …
What foods are irresistible to cats? How to Get Your Cat to Eat
- Give them some canned/wet food (the stinkier the better — try seafood varieties)
- Give them some meat baby food.
- Add some water from a can of tuna or anchovies to their food.
- Add a little bit of warmed, low-sodium chicken broth to their food, whether it’s kibble or canned.
10 Smells that Attract Cats
- Mint, Basil, and Peppermint.
- Floral aromas.
- Fruit scents.
Why do cats love cat treats so much?
Tame cats, as it turns out, express traits that make living alongside humans a little bit easier. Following genetic leads, the biologists believe rewards – like treats – make a bigger impact on the cats who eventually became domesticated. … “We hypothesized that humans would offer cats food as a reward to stick around.”
- the best cat treats in the UK
- worst cats treats
- the best cats treats Reddit
- the best cats treats for weight gain
- the best cats treats for training
- soft cat treats
- the best cat treats for kittens
- best homemade cat treats