8 Tips for Decluttering Your Closet (and Your Life!)
Do you feel like your closet is bursting at the seams? Are you having a hard time finding anything to wear because your clothes are all crammed together? If so, it might be time to declutter your closet! In this blog post, we will discuss 8 tips for decluttering your custom walk-in closet and freeing up some space!
1-Start With A Plan:
Before you start decluttering, it is important to have a plan! Decide what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of. Clutter can be defined as a collection of items that are often unused or unwanted, and it can quickly take over your home if you’re not careful. A cluttered closet is one of the most common problems faced by homeowners, and it can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to decluttering. However, devising a plan is the first step to taking control of your space. This will make the decluttering process much easier and less overwhelming.
2-Purge Your Closet:
Get rid of anything that you don’t wear or that doesn’t fit. Donate these items to a local charity or sell them online.
- First, take everything out of your closet and lay it on your bed.
- Go through each item and ask yourself if you’ve worn it in the last year. If not, get rid of it.
- Sort your clothes into categories – tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear, etc. This will help you see how much of each type of clothing you have.
- Put everything back in your closet, and only keep the items that you love and that fit your color scheme. By following these steps, you can create a capsule wardrobe that is both stylish and practical.
3-Organize Your Closet:
Once you have purged your closet, it is time to organize what is left! Hang up your clothes and put them in order by type. This will make it easier to find what you are looking for and will make your closet look neater.
- Sort your remaining clothes by category, such as tops, bottoms, dresses, etc. This will make it easier to find what you’re looking for when you’re getting dressed in the morning.
- Within each category, organize your clothes by color. This will create a visually appealing effect that will make getting dressed even more enjoyable.
- Invest in some storage solutions that will keep your newly organized closet looking great. This could include anything from baskets and bins to hangers and hooks.
4-Store Out-Of-Season Clothes:
If you have clothes that you only wear during certain seasons, consider storing them away until you need them again. This will free up some space in your closet and make it easier to find the clothes you actually want to wear.
- Sort your clothes by season. This will make it easier to find the clothes you want when you need them.
- Choose a storage solution that works for you. You can use plastic storage bins, cardboard boxes, or vacuum-sealed bags.
- Label your storage containers so you know what’s inside them. This will save you time and frustration later on.
- Store your clothes in a cool, dry place. A basement or attic is a great option.
5-Invest In Storage Solutions:
If you have a lot of clothes, you might want to invest in some storage solutions. This will help you keep your closet organized and will prevent your clothes from getting wrinkled or crammed together.
- Wire shelving is a great option if you’re looking for something both affordable and durable. It’s also easy to customize, so you can create a storage solution that perfectly fits your space.
- Wood shelving is another popular option for custom closets. It’s sturdy and attractive, but it can be more expensive than wire shelving.
- Glass shelves provide a sleek and stylish look, but they’re not as durable as wire or wood shelves. They’re also the most expensive option.
- Hanging rods are a great way to maximize space in your closet. You can use them to store shirts, pants, skirts, and other items.
- Baskets and bins are perfect for storing smaller items like socks, underwear, and accessories. They’re also great for organizing items by season or occasion.
6-Get Rid Of Old Shoes:
Do you have a pair of shoes that you haven’t worn in years? Get rid of them! Donate them to a local charity or sell them online.
7-Don’t Keep Clothes That Don’t Fit:
If you are holding onto clothes that don’t fit, it is time to let them go. Keeping clothes that don’t fit is a waste of valuable space in your closet. Not only that, but it can also be emotionally draining. Every time you open your closet, you’re confronted with the reminder that you aren’t the same size you used to be.
So why keep hanging onto clothes that no longer fit? Get rid of them and make room for clothes that you actually love and feel good in. You’ll be surprised how much better you’ll feel when your closet is full of clothes that make you look and feel amazing. Your future self will thank you!
When in doubt, get rid of it! If you are having a hard time deciding whether or not to keep something, err on the side of caution and get rid of it. You can always buy new clothes if you need them.
So, what are you waiting for? Start decluttering your closet today! These tips will help make the process a little less daunting. By following these tips, you can free up some space in your closet and make it easier to find the clothes you want to wear! And remember, it’s always okay to ask for help – especially when it comes to something as important as our wardrobe. JB Closets is here to help you meet your closet dreams.
Do you have any tips for decluttering your closet? Share them with us in the comments below!
8 Tips for Decluttering Your Closet (and Your Life!)